2019 Madison-Area Holiday Event Round Up!
December 12, 2019
Looking for some local events to help you get in the festive holiday spirit? Madison has plenty to offer! Check out our round up of ten holiday events going on in the Madison area in the month of December!
- Drive Through the Holiday Fantasy in Lights at Olin Park
- Check out the beautiful Holiday Fantasy in Lights at Olin Park along Lake Monona! Drive through thousands of holiday lights in the form of moving sculptures set to music! This event is free admission and runs dusk to dawn until January 4th!
- Take a Stroll Through the Henry Vilas Zoo Lights
- See the zoo transformed with thousands of lights for the Holiday season! Santa will be there, as well as warm beverages. This event runs Thurs-Sunday through December 29th from 5:30pm-9pm. Individual tickets are $7.00, with Family packs of 4 starting at $25.00.
- Check Out the Tree at the Wisconsin State Capital
- Check out a forty-foot Wisconsin-grown Balsam Fir in the beautiful state capital building! The tree is adorned with over 2400 multicolored lights and handmade children’s ornaments. This event is completely free to the public and a must-see!
- Ice Skating at the Edgewater
- The Edgewater Ice Skating Rink is a gorgeous place to get in the holiday spirit, featuring a beautiful holiday tree while overlooking beautiful Lake Mendota and the State Capital Building. Pop into the Ice House for a warm drink and snack, or stop by during one of their events, such as the Santa Skate on 12/20 or the Winter SolstICE Skate on 12/21! Admission is $7.00 with ice skate rentals being $3.00.
- Catch the Nutcracker Ballet at the Overture
- The Nutcracker Ballet will be at Overture this year from Friday December 20th through Saturday December 28th! Catch this timeless classic holiday ballet this year for an unforgettable holiday experience! Tickets range in price from $16.00 to $65.00.
- Head to Janesville to see the Holiday Light Show at Rotary Botanical Gardens
- Take the short drive to Janesville to check out the Rotary Botanical Gardens’ Holiday Light Show! This walk-through light show features over 750,000 twinkling lights amongst the beautiful setting of the botanical gardens. The light show is open from 4:30pm-9:00pm December 12th-15th, 19th-23rd, and 26th-30th. Admission is only $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for children ages 5-12.
- Visit with Santa’s Reindeer at the Bruce Company’s Holiday Reindeer Fly-In
- Free to the public, come meet some of Santa’s reindeer and their elf helpers at the Bruce Company! Learn some great reindeer facts while saying hello these remarkable animals! This event is Sunday, December 15th from Noon-2pm.
- Check Out Olbrich Botanical Gardens’ Holiday Express
- Olbrich’s gardens will be brimming with poinsettias and evergreens in this holiday scene filled with large-scale model trains! This event runs Dec 7, 2019 – Dec 31, 2019. 10am-4pm; close at 2pm Dec 24, closed Dec 25. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for children ages 3 to 12, children 2 and under are free. Free for Olbrich Botanical Society members and admission to the tropical Bolz Conservatory is included!
- Have Fun at the Christmas Bar Crawl
- Check out Madison’s Christmas Bar Crawl on Saturday, December 14th! The crawl starts at the Red Rock Saloon downtown and features 1-2 complimentary drinks at every stop along the way! Participants are encouraged to dress in their jolliest Holiday attire and there is even a costume contest! Admission is $25.00 per person.
- View the Decorations at the Governor’s Residence
- Another great free option, the Governor’s Residence is decorated beautifully along Lake Mendota’s shoreline. Holiday Open House tours are offered December 11th, 14th, and 19th from 11am-2pm.