6 Tips to Prepare Your Apartment for Autumn
August 31, 2015
As the leaves begin to fall and the air takes on a crisp chill, lots of renters change up their apartment décor—switching candles, photo frames, throw pillows, and throw blankets to darker and richer tones in autumnal colors. But changing up your décor isn’t the only thing you’ll want to do for your apartment this time of year! It’s time to make sure your apartment is weather-ready.
The most common time people sign new leases is in the summer, when many weather-related issues for apartments can fly under the radar. It’s all good and well when the sun is shining, but when fall rolls around, damp and cold conditions can reveal those hidden issues. Take a minute today to do this pre-autumn checkup of your apartment:
- Run your heater to make sure it’s working.
- Check your heater’s filter and have it replaced if it’s dirty.
- Check your windows for cracks in the glass or problems with the seals.
- Check the weather-stripping in your doorways for cracks or other damage.
- If you have a ceiling fan, reverse the direction of the blades from counter-clockwise to clockwise. (Warm air rises, and clockwise-spinning blades push it back down.)
- Place water-absorbent mats for your shoes near your front door so you don’t track mud and water into your apartment. If you have a dog, keep a stock of small towels near the door for those muddy paw-pads, too.
These simple steps will help you get on your way to a comfy, cozy season in your apartment. A few of them can even lower your energy bill. Take care of them now. Then bring on the Monday night football, pumpkin-spice lattes, homemade soups, and warm sweaters that make this season so wonderful!