6 Ways to Cut Down on Your Monthly Expenses
May 15, 2015
We all want to save a little cash here and there. We know it’s hard to do…living paycheck to paycheck. But, there are things you can cut, small things that can save you cash and give you more to either put away in the bank or spend on a night out!
- Stop buying coffee by the cup. This is easy. Yes, you will need to purchase a coffee machine (or find one at a yard sale) and buy coffee for the house but it’s still cheaper than shelling out cash every day at Starbucks. This could save you $15 a week! AVERAGE SAVED-$60/MONTH
- Supermarket brands are just as good as name brands. Really, many of the store brands are white labeled name brands. So, buying HyVee brand or Roundy’s brand items can save you about $2 on some of your purchases! This could save you $10 per week! AVERAGE SAVED-$40/MONTH
- Bring lunch. Seriously, stop eating out at lunch. Make your lunch the night before to save time the next morning. Let’s say you just do it 3 times a week. That’s $6 average a lunch (probably more). That’s $18 per week! AVERAGE SAVED-$72/MONTH
- Cancel the gym membership. During the summer, exercise outside. During the winter, use the facilities we have at your apartment complex! AVERAGE SAVED-$50/MONTH
- Unplug electronics when not in use. Phantom charges stink! Even when your TV or stereo is off, when plugged in, it is drawing phantom power and costing you a few bucks. Unplug EVERYTHING when not using them! AVERAGE SAVED-$8/MONTH
- Cut out Cable. Local television has more channels now because of the digital spectrum. Plus, if you have internet, you can get Netflix and watch plenty of movies and TV shows. This is a HUGE saving! AVERAGE SAVED-$90/MONTH
So, that’s $320 that you just saved in the month. Imagine putting that into a high interest money market account each month or taking some and splurging on yourself. Now, tell us some of your money saving ideas! We would love to hear them!